Top 6 Bass Fishing Baits for March
March presents an amazing opportunity for bass fishing. During this time larger bass start to migrate towards shallower waters to feed. March is perfect for using faster and more aggressive fishing techniques to lure in these fish.
To increase your chances of success, we focus on a select few lures and color combinations that have proven to be effective in catching fish, and you can apply the same knowledge to your local fishing spot.
Hooked In Fishing is supported by its audience. As an Amazon Associate, we may earn an affiliate commission when you purchase through links on our site. Learn more
The chatterbait is incredibly effective in March. It has a great profile and produces a ton of vibration and sound.
ZMan is the premier maker of chatterbaits with two outstanding lures for this time of year. The Jackhammer is without a doubt the best chatterbait on the market. It is made for catching giant bass.
The Mini Max is a downsized version which is perfect for those fishing on smaller fisheries or bodies of water that aren’t known for holding giant fish.
- ZMan Jackhammer 1/2 oz – Colors: Fire Craw, Black Blue, Brett’s Bluegill
Trailer – Hog Farmer Spunk Shad 4.5 – Colors: Blow Torch, Black & Blue Flake, Electric Shad
- ZMan Mini Max 1/2 oz – Colors: Spot Remover, Gizzard Shad, Bluegill
Trailer – Big Bite Baits Kamikaze Swimon 3.75″ – Smoky Gold, Glow Silver, Green Pumpkin
The magic of the chatterbait during this time of year comes from creating erratic movement. To create that action, vary your retrieval speed, add short pauses, and add rod twitches.
2. Lipless Crankbaits
A lipless crankbait works great during March on any type of retrieve. This makes it great for beginners. My favorite ways to fish them are fishing them fast on a straight retrieve covering a lot of water and hopping them along bottom.
I have two favorites depending on the retrieve I’m going for, the Jackall TN-70 and the LV 500. What I like about these two baits is they pack more weight in a smaller profile than most other lipless crankbaits.
- Straight Retrieve – Jackall TN–70 – Colors: Escape Craw, SS Shad, SG Threadfin
- Hopping on Bottom – Lucky Craft LV–500 – Colors: American Shad, Chartreuse Shad, Ghost Minnow
March is when you can start fishing Jerkbaits much faster and more aggressive than previous months. You want to work them hard to create a ton of flash, vibration, and movement. This action drives bass wild during this time of the year.
Because of this, you want to use jerkbaits designed to be more aggressive. I really like two two jerkbaits for aggressive action.
- Shimano World Minnow Flash Boost – Produces a ton of flash even in lower light conditions.
Colors: Clown, Chart Silver, Black Silver
- Jackall Rerange – Thin in the front and wider in the back. This makes it roll as it darts and twitches.
Colors: Chart Back Pearl, Secret Shad 2
Both of these are loud baits that put a lot of flash. They have great pulling power and are perfect in March.
4. Squarebill Crankbaits
Shallow squarebills really start to shine during this time of year as bass move up shallow to feed.
- Spro Little John – Subtle bait. Smaller, flat sided, tighter vibration, and less sound. It’s perfect for bad days with tougher conditions.
Colors: Blood Craw, Fire Craw, Chrome Olive
- River2Sea Biggie Poppa – Bold and loud
Colors: Cold Blooded, Delta Craw, Rooster
- 13 Fishing Scamp – Even louder than the Biggie Poppa
Colors: Day Old Guac, Epic Shad, Mudbug Punch
5. Large Swimbaits
With big bass moving up shallow, spring is one of the best times of the year to try and beat your personal best. Large swimbaits are perfect for this. they are a big meal that are enticing to giant bass trying to bulk up before spawn.
In March, secondary points and backs of coves are ideal areas to target with large swimbaits. I like to use two swimbaits during this time. The Megabass Magdraft for covering water and the River2Sea S-Waver for around cover.
- Covering Water – Megabass 6″ Magdraft
Colors: Albino Pearl Shad, White Back Shad
- Around Cover – River2Sea S–Waver 120
Colors: Light Trout, Warden Hitch, I Know It
6. Alabama Rig
The Alabama rig is one of the best winter rigs but it can still be productive during the early spring. The A-rig mimics a small school of bait fish. The way you retrieve and work the rig creates a ton of movement that looks super realistic.
It’s so successful that many tournaments have banned it’s use. It’s great for catching numbers and giant bass.
- Bladed Rig– Hogfarmer Tactical Flex Bladed
- Non-Bladed Rig – HogFarmer Tactical Flex
- Swimbait Heads – Matt Allen Swimbait (1/8 oz)
- Swim Baits – Keitech 4.8″ Fat Swing Impact
- Dummy Baits (depending on your state’s hook laws) – Netbait Little Spanky
March is when bass fishing really starts to pick up. Fish are becoming more active after the cold winter months. With the right lures and techniques you have a great opportunity to catch a lot of fishand potentially catch some trophy-sized bass.
Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner, taking advantage of the opportunities that March bass fishing offers can lead to an exciting and memorable fishing trip. So grab your fishing gear and head out to your favorite fishing spot, and enjoy the thrill of bass fishing this March!